With a new year around the corner many individuals will vow to better themselves and the lives that they live. If you have recently gone through a divorce and are looking to put 2017 behind you, now is a great time to look forward to what lies ahead. While it can be a little unnerving heading into the unknown, it can also be fun and exciting.
From little changes to reaching big milestones, there are several ways to take 2018 head on and be the best version of yourself.
- Purchase a journal and write down some goals that you would like to achieve. Statistics show that there is a higher success rate at achieving a goal if it is written down. Whether it be a promotion, a career change, getting more organized, eating healthier, getting more fit or all the above; write it down!
- Staying organized helps to keep a clear head and a sense of calm. We all live hectic lives and any help we can get is useful.
- Is there an activity that you always wanted to try but never got around to it? It’s never too late! Learn to play a new instrument, take yoga, go back to school, etc. Life is too short to not do the things you want to do. Don’t look back on life with regret.
- It is perfectly ok to spend a little time to assess where things may have gone wrong in your marriage. You may not want to re-marry in the future, however, you might end up building intimate relationships again along the way. How will you approach the relationship differently this time? What are you looking for in a future partner? We are constantly evolving and the person you were when you first got married may not be the same person you are now. This is your life and you deserve to live it the way you want.
- Try to maintain a positive outlook. It’s easy to be negative and sometimes it takes more effort to be positive. The more you make the effort, the easier it will become and it will eventually happen naturally. Let go of bitterness and resentment as it will only hinder your progress.
- Take care of yourself! Self-love is important. If you feel good you are happy. It’s that simple. Treat yourself to a massage, get a new haircut, plan a trip solo or with friends. Fitness and nutrition are two major changes that go hand in hand that really can make all the difference in how you feel daily.
Life is hard. We experience situations that knock us off our feet and leave us feeling like the wind was knocked out of us. We can choose to lay there, defeated, or we can choose to get back up, brush ourselves off and come back better than before. Let the New Year be the new you.